OAKE

Home
Location
Events
Activities
Profile
History
Church

Profile
History
Church

HILLCOMMON

Profile
History

HILLFARRANCE

Profile
Church
Flood Prevention
History
Photos

AMENITIES

School
Pre-school
Post Office
Oake Hall
Recreation
Food & Drink
Where to stay
Transport

COUNCIL

Introduction
Contacts
Agenda
Minutes
Past Minutes

Business Directory
Our website
Links
Photo Gallery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hillfarrance Church History

Holy Cross Church

The Church is dedicated to the Holy Cross. The Chapel on the south side appears from an earlier inscription to have been erected in AD 1333, but some of the work seems later, built by William de Vernai Lord of the manor, whose family are buried here. It was made over to the parish in AD 1857 and seats 160. The pulpit is Hamdon hill stone, it was recorded that in 1611 there was a wooden Jacobean pulpit. The Church was restored in 1857 when it had a peal of 5 bells. An extract taken from ‘The Kings England – Somerset’ by Arthur Mee published in 1940 says “here hang four bells which rang in the first Stuart King”.

There are now 6 bells. The bells were restored in 1925 by the Church Bell Foundry, Whitehcapel Road, London. The Tower where the bells hand was added in the 13 th century. The will of the Rev. John Lane 1540 gives the period of the building of the tower. An item in the will read ‘to Hillfarrance to building tower 3s. 4p.   In the parapet of the tower are a series of quarterfoils, some contain a monogram with the letters I.P.

We know that John Wesley preached in Hillfarrance, probably not in the Church but in a chapel outside the gates.

An entry in the New Grove Encyclopaedia of Music tells us that John Isaac Hawkins was definitely born at Hillfarrance on the 14 th March 1772. He is the inventor of the upright piano, we understand at the time he invented it he was living in Philadelphia.

There is a tombstone in the churchyard in memory of a John Isaac Hawkins who could be his father.

PAST   INCUMBENTS  

Thomas Warton 1782
John Banks Maulding 1790
Charles Jesse 1793
James Ford 1820
John King Eagles 1832
John Warre 1877
George Palmer 1881
David Payne Williams 1887
John Argyle Welch Collins 1892
Alleyne Fitzherbert Lye 1894
Edward Popham Spurway 1896
Charles Henry Chard 1900
William Adderly Campbell 1905
William Sweet Escott 1908
Algernon Edward Tollemache 1914
Henry Wheat MA 1930
Henry Rees Davies BA 1935
Albert George West 1958
William Henry Greening 1962
John Butler FBOA 1964
Kelvin George John Williams 1974
Neville Kent 1977
Kevin Gilbert Xavier Tingay 1990
Alison Norris 2002

Thomas Warton was a don at Trinity College Oxford and in 1757 was elected Professor of Poetry.   In 1785 he was created Peot Laureate. Chalmers General Biographical Dictionary states that in 1782 he was presented by his college to the donative of Hillfarrance. In his biography there is no indication that he was active in Hillfarrance.

James Ford the draft V.C.H. says James Ford owned the ‘ Advowson’ and was curate between the years 1820 and 1830. It states that he dies on 31st January 1850 bequeathing £4000 to Trinity College, Oxford, for the purchase of the advowson on Hillfarrance and St. Laurence, Ipswich, and endowing the Ford Professorship of English History at Oxford. Trinity College thus obtained the patronage of Hillfarrance.

This seems odd as it is recorded that the College presented Thomas Warton in 1782 and therefore already possessed the advowson.

Harvest 2002

 

 

 

 


Oake Parish
parishclerk@oake.org.uk

© Oake Parish 2006

disclaimer